Skip to main content

The Difficulties of Living Vicariously

I keep seeing all these blogs and articles about how moms are sad or mad or down on themselves because their children are growing up in a world so much different than the one they grew up in. You used to be able to hang out with neighbor kids and now we have to schedule play dates. You used to have free time and now you feel the need to schedule every second of every day. You had siblings that were close to your age so you want to have biological playmates for your kids. Etc. 

I actually have the opposite problem. I am the mom trying to make up for what I now realize I missed in my childhood. I lived in a very rural area. There weren’t many activities or kid friendly places to go. Even if there were, my mom was often babysitting more kids than could fit in her Astro van and my dad was making a living for our family and wouldn’t be home until the weekend. We were stuck at home for two months of summer (except for county fair week, of course). But you know what? I didn’t know any different. I wasn’t begging for play dates and dance class and a visit to the splash pad every day. I played in the pool, ate hot dogs and popsicles, and used my imagination. That was summer... and it was my freaking favorite! I didn’t realize until I had kids that all this other stuff existed.

Now, I live in a city that has so many things for little kids to do. We could probably do something different every day of this summer. They have more friends at age 3 than I have as an adult. There are classes that they can take to become professional gymnasts, ballerinas, artists, swimmers, you name it, for only $250 a month (EACH). I feel the need to do so much with and for them because I don’t want my girls to miss anything. I don’t want them to be stuck at home all summer. 

Let me tell you a little secret though. Whether it was amazing or horrible, my kids don’t care about my childhood. They don’t even remember it! The truth is that the routine they know and understand is the one I am creating for them. And even after all the running around and head aches and drive thru lunches, I think their favorite summer activities are just playing Hide and Seek in the yard or pirate ship in the kiddie pool.

So, you might feel the urge to take your little ones to every kid friendly public event, or the pressure to enroll them in every extra curricular, or the need to keep them social by scheduling playdates every week, but I promise you, they don’t feel any of that.  If your child is having a good time and not becoming a little dictator in your life, then his childhood is perfect for him.

Moms! Let's take a load off. Relax. Give ourselves permission to be lazy. Play with our kids instead of being their activity managers. Enjoy our own summer, for goodness sakes!

And let’s be honest, all I needed to do to make my kids' childhood better than my own was get AC. Done.


Comments

  1. Jody, have you ever read _the hurried child_ by David Elkind? You might want to do that. His central discussion is that we make our kids
    do too much.


    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Get One Nice Photo...

To get one nice photo of two babies, you go through many many not so nice ones. Some are hilarious and even more entertaining than the "nice" photo, but they are definitely not what you were going for. Here is our latest collection of Christmas photo outtakes for your viewing pleasure. The Party Face Photo HAHAHA The Cutest Fat Baby Ever Photo The Protective Serious Big Sister Photo The Merry and Right Photo The Ear Rubber Photo The Too Much Flash Photo The "Ohhh, Nice Glitter!" Photo The Falling Baby Photo The Baby Wrestling Photo The Cough Photo (My Favorite) The Head Punch Photo The Head Butt Photo The Flipper Photo The "What the heck are you doing? Photo The "For Real?" Photo and the two winners…. Merry Christmas from Georgia and Olive!

Truly Becoming a Mother

10 months ago, I became a mother. I had been looking forward to that day my whole life. I grew up around lots of babies. I work with kids. I loved on other people’s children working in church. I wanted my own! I wanted to feel that love that mothers feel. Honestly though, I didn’t feel it. I felt the physical pain, I felt the amazement at how two real people with arms and legs and working organs came from inside of me, I felt their hearts beat as they laid on me, I felt awestruck at the beauty of my daughters, I felt some depression because I realized my previous life was over, and I felt guilt for that depression. But, I didn’t feel like a mother. I didn’t have that immediate connection with my babies. I didn’t have that “love at first sight” feeling. Until now, I’ve only told one person that because I thought it meant I was a terrible human being and I could never be a good mother. As they’ve grown and I’ve grown, I have become more than a mother. I’m a “Mom Mom”! Now I feel

A Public Happy Anniversary

It’s hard to believe it has been 5 years since we got married! It’s even harder to believe that it’s been 12 years since our worlds happily collided! To say happy anniversary, I’d like reminisce on a few of our most memorable married moments. -        Our little wedding in Savannah, Georgia. It was so hot, and we were happy for the light rain and to jump into the fountain.  People say they don’t want to elope because they will one day regret not having a big wedding. I’ve never regretted a single thing about it! It was perfect for us! -        Your lost puppy-dog face the whole time we were at Disney World for our honeymoon. I think you wanted to have children for an excuse to go back! -        The financial struggle we went through during our first year of marriage and the thankfulness we will always have for what God’s blessed us with since then. We truly have been favored. -        The ice storm. I think everyone who lived in KY during January 200